[opam-devel] Opam license bug

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Mon Jan 18 15:02:41 GMT 2016

Dear all,

It so happens that the license that was shipped with Opam -- and, accordingly,
under the terms of which it was officially distributed, is bogus. More details
on the issue below, but the trouble is, a CLA was not put in place at the
beginning, nor ever since, and OCamlPro -- although copyright holder of 98% of
the current code¹ -- is hands tied to change the license without a general
agreement by now.

This highlights the need for such an agreement, so I would be very glad if our
dear contributors would be so kind to read and agree to our CLA, helping in
solving this and possible further licensing issues.

## Our CLA

We propose to our contributors the CLA that we already apply to some of our
software, which can be read at:

  https://www.ocamlpro.com/files/CLA-OCamlPro-individual.txt

I honestly believe it to be on the open end of the spectrum for such
agreements, as it basically only gives us the rights to relicense under our
own terms, without otherwise depriving the contributors of their rights². It's
basically the same terms used by e.g. Google.

## The issue

Opam is distributed under the terms of the LGPL v3 "with OCaml linking
exception"³, the problem being with the definition of the exception, which was
written against the LGPL v2, and not properly adapted. It patches the wrong
clauses, making it actually worthless. Assuming that this results in the
original LGPL v3 to apply, it is more restrictive than what we intended!

This situation is thus a legal hazard to users of the Opam lib, first and
foremost, and clarifying things on that front should be beneficial for
everyone.

Note that the issue was raised after discussions with the spdx folks on
https://github.com/ocaml/opam/pull/2224. Their detailed answer can be read at:

  http://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2015-July/001464.html

This affects other projects as well.

I am sending this to opam-devel first for your opinion, and I am no lawyer so
feel free to rectify if I made any mistakes. I'll take care of gathering the
authors of significant contributions and asking them individually when
necessary.

Best,
Louis Gesbert, OCamlPro

¹ As computed using, on my current dev branch:
    git ls-files 'src/**ml*' | xargs -n1 git blame --line-porcelain | sed -n
's/^author //p' | sort -f | uniq -ic | sort -rVb

² We heard a complaint about it from Daniel Bünzli, and do not believe it to
be the general feeling. To make your own informed opinion on it, here are the
related comments and our answers:

  https://github.com/OCamlPro/ocp-indent/pull/192

³ according to the LICENSE file, and source headers: the README doesn't
actually even mention this explicitely