[opam-devel] Opam license bug

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Jan 19 14:57:24 GMT 2016

On 19 Jan 2016, at 14:52, Mark Shinwell <mshinwell at janestreet.com> wrote:

> For what reason would it be impractical to relicense under a BSD
> licence?  (I don't really understand your statement in conjunction
> with what Thomas writes, for example.)

We are unlikely to reach such a consensus on this thread. The only scenario under which that works is for OCamlPro to apply the CLA (they can't as its broken) or for Roberto to agree (which he has indicated he won't).

More generally, it's just difficult for a project that's several years old to do this sort of change.

> When you write about the Consortium, I assume you meant that not only
> the Consortium not only hold the CLA but also include OPAM as part of
> the software covered under the special BSD agreement.

Yes that's correct. There is a long tradition of this being the mechanism to obtain the compiler tools for commercial closed source use, and extending it to cover OPAM is the only route I see to getting a commercially friendly OPAM license for industrial users in the short term.

-Anil