[opam-devel] pinned package not installing dependencies

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Thu Jan 21 08:13:02 GMT 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM, David Scott <scott.dj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM, Tim Cuthbertson <tim at gfxmonk.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've used opam a bunch, but this is the first time I've tried creating
>> my own package. It seems like I must be doing something dumb, but in
>> order to test my package I'm setting up a new opam repository (opam
>> init; opam switch create; then in that switch opam pin
>> <path-to-git-checkout>).
>>
>> Opam then tries to install `gup` (my package), but doesn't get very
>> far because it doesn't install any of my dependencies! My opam file
>> looks like:
>>
>>     opam-version: "1"
>>     name: "gup"
>>     version: "0.5.1"
>>     maintainer: "tim at gfxmonk.net"
>>     depends: [
>>      "batteries"
>>      "cryptokit"
>>      "extunix"
>>      "lwt" { ">=2.5.1" }
>

> Try changing this line to
>
>   "lwt" { >= "2.5.1" }
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Aha! Thanks, Dave - that fixed it.

Funnily enough I already suspected this line could be a problem, and I
removed it but that didn't help. Remembering back, I must have done
that when I had _another_ issue (accidentally had two `depends:` keys
in my opam file). Since it obviously didn't fix _that_ problem, I
mentally marked it as not the issue.

Is my opam file above invalid? Or is it valid-but-not-what-I-meant?
Given that it didn't install any of my dependencies it seems like it
must have been invalid rather than just specifying a weird constraint
/ tag for `lwt`. Is there some error I should have seen for having an
invalid file?

Cheers,
 - Tim.