[opam-devel] opam 2.0~alpha2 -- an update on opam's current dev status

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Mon Jul 18 14:34:04 BST 2016

Hi all,

We finally have a solution that I find satisfying to the larger blocker we had
with opam 2.0 — inconsistency of the use of `available:` fields based on a
variable `ocaml-version` that couldn't be known before the `ocaml` package was
installed. See below if you are interested in the details, I have said a few
words about it here and there, but a summary is in order.

With this, and after a little bit more testing, I think we should be done with
the large repository format changes and rewrites, and that alone is a good
reason to release the too-long-awaited successor of 1.2.2. Adding the many,
smaller and larger features you're all waiting for (local switches, per-switch
remotes, etc., etc.) from there should be smoother and can be done
incrementally.

For all users and testers of 2.0~alpha — thank you — the alpha2 changes the
repository layout a bit, so when I merge and put the new repository rewrite in
place on https://opam.ocaml.org/2.0~dev, you will need to update your version
of opam (I don't want to spend time on maintaining repo mirrors at different
dev versions, not counting the issues that might arise on the older versions).

Also, I think we should release opam 2.0 while the default repository is still
an automatic rewrite of the 1.2 repository; then, take the time to put a
reverse rewrite in place (the 1.2→2.0 rewrite is far from trivial, changing
.comp to opam files, rewriting variables, changing formulas on variables into
dependencies on packages, so this won't be easy). Once this is done, automatic
testing follows and enough people have made the move, we can independently
switch the format of the official opam-repository to 2.0.

---

Now for the technical details. The upcoming dev version creates 4 distinct
`ocaml` packages:
- `ocaml-system`: an OCaml compiler from the system, outside of opam. There is
an instance of the package for every OCaml release.
- `ocaml-base-compiler`: the "official" releases of OCaml, compiled from
source by opam, with the corresponding version
- `ocaml-variants`: a single package for all "other" versions of OCaml, built
by opam. The package versions have the form `OCAML_VERSION+VARIANT`, e.g.
`4.02.3+fp`
- `ocaml`: a wrapper package that depends on one of the first three, for each
OCaml release, mapping the versions in the case of `ocaml-variants`. For
example, `ocaml.4.03.3` depends on `ocaml-system{=4.02.3} | ocaml-base-
compiler{=4.02.3} | ocaml-variants{>=4.02.3 & <4.02.4~}`. Additionally, the
package runs an (ocaml) script that detects the specifics of the OCaml
version, initialising package variables such as `ocaml:native-dynlink`¹.

All of the first three are mutually conflicting, which is the reason for
keeping all variants in a single package². Any constraints on the OCaml
version should now be expressed through a dependency to the `ocaml` package
instead of the `available:` field.

To this point, this leaves us with the matter of the "system" compilers, which
need to be selected manually. To this end, the following provides a nice
solution, that doesn't rely on any OCaml-specific mechanism:
- support for "global" (i.e. not per-switch) opam variables, defined in
~/.opam/config, is added
- ~/.opam/config has a field that allows to initialise those (lazily) from the
output of a command (if the command fails or doesn't exist, the variable is
simply left uninitialised)

Based on this, we define, in the configuration file, an `ocaml-sys-version`
global variable bound to the output of `ocamlc -vnum`. Then we add a
constraint `available: ocaml-sys-version = _:version` to the `ocaml-system`
package. This way, only the installable ocaml-system package is visible, and
additionally, if it changes, existing opam mechanisms will trigger an up/down-
grade to the correct version. Also, still using existing mechanisms, `opam
switch ocaml-system` will pick the right version, while `opam switch 4.02.3`
will either pick `ocaml-base-compiler` (if `ocaml-system.4.02.3` is not
available) or state that the choice is ambiguous and ask to choose between
`ocaml-system` and `ocaml-base-compiler` otherwise. In case the variable is
not properly defined, the `ocaml-system` package won't be available, but it
won't break anything besides.

We also extend the way in which such a variable can be initially defined in
opam, by supporting an `init` file (e.g. ~/.opamrc or /etc/opamrc) that allows
to choose, at `opam init` time, many ~/.opam/config options and e.g. the
initial repositories to use. Opam has a default, built-in init file that binds
to https://opam.ocaml.org and defines `ocaml-sys-version`, but this is better
separated from the code, and easier to override, than before.

Hope this all makes sense, comments welcome. All of this is already working,
with the proper automatic rewrites, and just needs a little more polish before
merging into master.

Best,
Louis

¹ Contrary to before, this never becomes a global variable and can be used in
commands but never in the `available:` field.
² The `provides:` field would be a more elegant solution to this, but causes
more problem than it solves; design work to have it in opam has advanced —
it's yet desirable for many reasons — but let's keep matters separate.