[ocaml-opengl] which structure for the ideal project ?

Florent Monnier monnier.florent at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 22:25:01 BST 2013

Hi,

I've not made any OpenGL over the last year (only 2D), but I'm planing
to make some 3D again soon, so I'm wondering how to make things evolve
in the right direction, and I would like to get opinions about it.

So I've started a new experimentation almost from scratch, and before
to go further too much I would like to validate or invalidate my
choices, based on your opinions about it.

* the gl-enums use polymorphic variants
why?
- standard variant are more efficient but the difference is so small
that it can be considered negligeable.
- polymorphic variants makes it more easy for version handling (see below)
- possibility to remove dependencies from different modules.
- using standard variants require that some are module packed (cf
glMLite) and this is ugly and tedious

* the gl-enums are wrapped using a pattern matching on the ocaml side
and only an int is send to C stub
why?
- the C stub is then the same for every version (see below for version handling)
- the C stub is simpler, only Int_val() to convert every gl-enum
- more things managed on the ocaml side, means simpler code
- people comfotable with ocaml but not C can more easily modify the code
- see [REF-1] at the end of this email for an example of code

* each OpenGL C function stub is in its own C file
why?
- more easy to choose which set of functions we want to use (see
version handling below)
- split code in small files, easier to find a single function, or
evetually make alternative versions for testing purposes.

* each ocaml external function also in its own file
why?
- version sets also easy to generate from it (see version handling below)
- also easy to have alternative versions for testing purposes
- for example for glBegin we have func_glBegin.{ml,mli} and func_glBegin_stub.c

* two ocaml interfaces are provided,
 one with LablGL's functions style, and
 one with native OpenGL functions names (like in glMLite and GLcaml)
 (I call the first one the Labeled interface, because it's similar to LablGL)
 (I call the second one the Garrys's interface,
  I offer an orange from organic farming for the one who guess why)
why?
- some people prefer the LablGL style, some people prefer native
OpenGL functions style,
  so how to choose ? just don't choose, take them both to make everyone happy.
- this is not an issue, the C stub is the same for both, and the way
gl-enums are managed makes it easy to

* one module for each OpenGL version,
  GL11 provides all the function set and gl-enums from OpenGL version 1.1,
  GL21 for OGL 2.1, GL33 for 3.3, and ES1, ES2, and so on...
why?
- Then we know exactly where we are.
- what if I want my program to work with both OGL 2.1 and OGL 3.3 ?
see next point

* we may generate modules that are intersection sets between 2 or more
OpenGL versions
why?
- we also know exactly where we are, we're writing for target that may
use OGL 2.1 or 3.3
- what if I want a very large version target (even every OGL version)
? see next point

# If I want my program to work for large target, from OGL 1.1 up to 4.1
  then I just write several implementations, one with the fixed
pipeline for old computers,
  and one with modern style VBO+GLSL, in each implementation we are
sure of which
  functions we use because we only open the matching module :
open GL11
or
open GL33
  then at run-time we can test which version of opengl is running
  and select the right implementation

* to generate each module version, we use an over simple script,
  with over simple input data.
why?
- because we love KISS programming
- please no XML hell when not needed
- see [REF-2] at the end of this email for an example of input data
- we generate each version module with the set of functions that
matches this input
- generating each gl-enum is also quite straight foreward
- if very KISS everyone, even beginners, can modify it
- input data that can be shared with other projects (REF-2 is actually
taken from
  another project, but only contains functions, gl-enums still have to be added)

* we use a wrangler lib by default, even on Linux.
why?
- because for portability with MS/Windows we have to
- even on Linux it's better to. glMLite chooses an OpenGL version at
compile time,
  it's lame for packaging purpose where when the package is compiled
we don't know yet
  which OGL version will be on the target computer where the package
will finally
  be installed and run.
  It was quite OK to do so until recently, because most people were
using OGL 2.1 for a while,
  but now more and more people will use more modern versions.
  So we now need to go further.

* so which wrangler lib? glew?
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/OpenGL_Loading_Library
http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/03/sad-facts-about-opengl-extension-libraries/
I'm not sure which to use, glew seems to be the most used and adviced,
but as long as I know there is no perfect one that has all the advantages.
Each has its pros and cons, advantages and drawbacks.
Last time I browsed about opengl wrangler libs comparisions was maybe
more than one year ago. I don't know if the situation has evolved nowaday.
/ Maybe the project should make it switchable at compile time,
so each user can decide which suits the best his/her needs.
The default recommanded for Linux packaging could be glew.
The default for people who don't know and who are compiling the
sources could be SDL2.
- currently my experimentation uses SDL2 wrangling mechanism
why?
- so that I'm using only one single lib, for windowing/user input, and
  for OGL wrangling (and even for pure 2D), and even sound
- SDL2 provides everything we need, even the OpenGL headers.
- SDL2 is very portable (should we even say a portability Heaven?)
even if still a devel version (oops no now RC), compiles out of the box on both
Linux and Cygwin (and probably the same for most used environments)
On cygwin compiles out of the box even with MingW's toolchain
(just do export CC="/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-gcc" before ./configure and make)

* should the OpenGL bindings provide highier level things?
(like memory management, or anykind of abstraction or simplification)
In my opinion no. Or at least not at the base modules.
why?
IMHO the functions should be useable at their low-level level, and so
the project should only relay the opengl functions calls IMO.
- But building other modules on top of the lowlevel ones or next to it
could be a good idea IMO.
  (like I tryed in glmlite with FunGL, and Ogl_draw / Ogl_matrix)

* How to manage buffers?
/ BAs?
/ Strings?
/ Arrays?
/ LablGL's Raw?
/ any other suggestions?
pros and cons :
- BA: nice for the absence of any dependency,
  but in glMLite I get segfault with buffers that comes from mapped memory
  BAs are very slow to alloc and finalise, which is an issue if
  we want to do it between two frames at runtime.
- Strings: I haven't tried yet, but I seriously envisage this option
  also nice for absence of dependency for interactions with other components
  storing 16bits/32bits ints / floats in it could still be easily
managed with a dedicated module
  Strings are faster to alloc and finalise than BAs.
- Arrays: not possible, we need 32 bits floats not doubles,
  also not possible for ints of various size and even mini-floats
- a dedicated module like LablGL's Raw,
  we could tailor it for what we need,
  but IMHO it should be a separated project for the dependency removing
  of other components that would have to interoperate with it.
  Other projects like pure 2D things could also use such a project.
- the opengl functions that would need buffer management could also be
  isolated in a separated modules and then different options could be
written and tried.
  (which is why in glmlite VertArray and VBO modules were separated
from the main module,
   thinking that I could try something else than BAs later (which i never did)
   but is it a good idea?)
so:
I really don't know what would be the best option(s), maybe Raw or strings,
but for strings would need to try and experiment with it to get a
better opinion,
and to see if we don't have segfaults like with BAs with video mapped memory.
Or if we provide several options, is it a good idea? How to integrate the
alternatives together with the other functions? Sub-modules? or different .cma?
or suffixes?

* Which type for matrices?
I personally prefer using float arrays like I do in glMLite.
why?
- this is highly comfortable to not have any dependency
@ but I do understand people willing other kind of types,
  as i would like to make something that other people would
  want to use, i would like to get the more opinions possible
  to see what most people think about it, and maybe try to
  please the majority

* which type for vectors, points, colors?
I personally prefer tuples like I now do in all my modules.
why?
- this is highly comfortable to not have any dependency
- but idem than for matrices (the @ point)

* Which license?
- If I continue this experimentation further to make it reach a usable
state it would be a liberal license.
- but MIT, BSD, zlib/png are even not simple enough for me,
  I still don't like their conditions and restrictions that I think are useless.
- I'm thinking to use this one below that is zlib with its restriction removed:
"""
This software is provided "AS-IS", without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely.
"""
I still don't like the use of the word "software" which excludes the
documentations, eventually not clear about the tests (strictly
speaking it's not part of the software), and also exclude images that
could be joined for testing purpose. An image is not software.
I talked about it with Richard Jones (about another piece of code) who
strongly discourages me to use a non standard license.
What are your opinions about it?
Would license options be an acceptable solution?
like in this project:
https://github.com/blue-prawn/ocaml-xlib/blob/master/README.txt
see the sections "LICENSE" and "ALTERNATIVE LICENSES" in the README file.

* which build tool?
/ make?
/ ocamlbuild?
/ ocp-build?
- none
why?
- not really none, I just mean I'm thinking it could be managed in
separated projects,
like a set of Makefile that would share the same directory hierarchy,
like the sources of Mesa do,
so that tarballs could be untared in the same place a produce a
consistent source directory ready to be build.
Would be easier to deprecate a build if it's outside of the main project,
but I'm not sure I want to use something else than make yet.

------

If you have any comments, opinions, advices, suggestions, critics,
trolls, crazy ideas about all this, please share!
Even if you have completely other ideas about what should be the ideal
ocaml-opengl bindings, I would appreciate to hear about it.

Also notice that if I don't take webgl into considarations, it's only
because I've not started to learn it yet, so I know nothing about it
yet.
If you have ideas about if and how it should be taken into account
into a bindings for desktop programs, please feel free to talk about
it.

=== REF SAMPLES ===

[REF-1] :

>From the .ml part :

type gl_enum = Gl_enum.t

(* each gl-enums will be (eventually) different in each module version,
   in module GL21 `GL_QUADS, `GL_QUAD_STRIP and `GL_POLYGON
   will be there but not in GL32.
   And GL33 and GL41 will have additional ones:
   `GL_LINES_ADJACENCY
   `GL_LINE_STRIP_ADJACENCY
   `GL_TRIANGLES_ADJACENCY
   `GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP_ADJACENCY
   So each gl-enum would be generated accordingly for each version module *)
type primitive = [
  | `GL_POINTS
  | `GL_LINES
  | `GL_LINE_LOOP
  | `GL_LINE_STRIP
  | `GL_TRIANGLES
  | `GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP
  | `GL_TRIANGLE_FAN
  | `GL_QUADS  (** deprecated in core profile *)
  | `GL_QUAD_STRIP  (** deprecated in core profile *)
  | `GL_POLYGON  (** deprecated in core profile *)
  | `GL_LINES_ADJACENCY  (** new in 3.3 and 4.1 *)
  | `GL_LINE_STRIP_ADJACENCY  (** new in 3.3 and 4.1 *)
  | `GL_TRIANGLES_ADJACENCY  (** new in 3.3 and 4.1 *)
  | `GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP_ADJACENCY  (** new in 3.3 and 4.1 *)
  ]

let int_of_primitive = function
  | `GL_POINTS          -> Gl_enum.gl_points
  | `GL_LINES           -> Gl_enum.gl_lines
  | `GL_LINE_LOOP       -> Gl_enum.gl_line_loop
  | `GL_LINE_STRIP      -> Gl_enum.gl_line_strip
  | `GL_TRIANGLES       -> Gl_enum.gl_triangles
  | `GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP  -> Gl_enum.gl_triangle_strip
  | `GL_TRIANGLE_FAN    -> Gl_enum.gl_triangle_fan
  | `GL_QUADS           -> Gl_enum.gl_quads
  | `GL_QUAD_STRIP      -> Gl_enum.gl_quad_strip
  | `GL_POLYGON         -> Gl_enum.gl_polygon

external glBegin : gl_enum -> unit = "caml_glBegin" "noalloc"
let glBegin prim =
  glBegin (int_of_primitive prim)

let bit_of_clear_buffer = function
  | `GL_COLOR_BUFFER      -> Gl_enum.gl_color_buffer_bit
  | `GL_DEPTH_BUFFER      -> Gl_enum.gl_depth_buffer_bit
  | `GL_ACCUM_BUFFER      -> Gl_enum.gl_accum_buffer_bit
  | `GL_STENCIL_BUFFER    -> Gl_enum.gl_stencil_buffer_bit

let enum_lor = Gl_enum.(lor)

let int_of_clear_buffer lst =
  List.fold_left (fun mask v ->
    enum_lor mask (bit_of_clear_buffer v)
  ) Gl_enum.zero lst

external glClear : gl_enum -> unit = "caml_glClear" "noalloc"
let glClear buffers =
  glClear (int_of_clear_buffer buffers)

>From .mli part :

val glBegin : primitive -> unit
val glClear : clear_buffer list -> unit

cat gl_funcs/stub_glBegin.c

CAMLprim value
caml_glBegin(value prim)
{
    glBegin(Long_val(prim));
    return Val_unit;
}

cat gl_funcs/stub_glClear.c

CAMLprim value
caml_glClear(value mask)
{
    glClear(Int_val(mask));
    return Val_unit;
}

>From the Labeled interface :
- module GlClear :

type shape = [
  | `points
  | `lines
  | `line_loop
  | `line_strip
  | `triangles
  | `triangle_strip
  | `triangle_fan
  | `quads
  | `quad_strip
  | `polygon
  ]

let int_of_shape = function
  | `points           -> Gl_enum.gl_points
  | `lines            -> Gl_enum.gl_lines
  | `line_loop        -> Gl_enum.gl_line_loop
  | `line_strip       -> Gl_enum.gl_line_strip
  | `triangles        -> Gl_enum.gl_triangles
  | `triangle_strip   -> Gl_enum.gl_triangle_strip
  | `triangle_fan     -> Gl_enum.gl_triangle_fan
  | `quads            -> Gl_enum.gl_quads
  | `quad_strip       -> Gl_enum.gl_quad_strip
  | `polygon          -> Gl_enum.gl_polygon

external begins : gl_enum -> unit = "caml_glBegin" "noalloc"
let begins shape =
  begins (int_of_shape shape)

- module GlDraw :

let bit_of_clear_buffer = function
  | `color      -> Gl_enum.gl_color_buffer_bit
  | `depth      -> Gl_enum.gl_depth_buffer_bit
  | `accum      -> Gl_enum.gl_accum_buffer_bit
  | `stencil    -> Gl_enum.gl_stencil_buffer_bit

let int_of_clear_buffer lst =
  List.fold_left (fun mask v ->
    enum_lor mask (bit_of_clear_buffer v)
  ) Gl_enum.zero lst

external clear : gl_enum -> unit = "caml_glClear" "noalloc"
let clear buffers =
  clear (int_of_clear_buffer buffers)

>From file gl_enum.ml :
(* this file not generated, because gl-enums values never change *)
(* this file just reformated from C to ocaml code from the GL.h header
   with some interactive regexps in vim *)

type t = int

let ( lor ) = ( lor )
let zero = 0

(* Primitives *)
let gl_points                         = 0x0000
let gl_lines                          = 0x0001
let gl_line_loop                      = 0x0002
let gl_line_strip                     = 0x0003
let gl_triangles                      = 0x0004
let gl_triangle_strip                 = 0x0005
let gl_triangle_fan                   = 0x0006
let gl_quads                          = 0x0007
let gl_quad_strip                     = 0x0008
let gl_polygon                        = 0x0009

>From file gl_enum.mli :

type t

val ( lor ) : t -> t -> t

val zero : t

val gl_points : t
val gl_lines : t
val gl_line_loop : t
val gl_line_strip : t
val gl_triangles : t
val gl_triangle_strip : t
val gl_triangle_fan : t
val gl_quads : t
val gl_quad_strip : t
val gl_polygon : t

[REF-2] :

glAccum                               1.1  1.3  .    2.1  .    .    .
glBegin                               1.1  1.3  .    2.1  .    .    .
glBindFramebuffer                     .    .    .    .    3.3  4.1  es2
glClipPlanef                          1.1  1.3  es1  2.1  .    .    .
GL_QUADS                              1.1  1.3  es1  2.1  3.3  4.1  es2
GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP_ADJACENCY           .    .    .    .    3.3  4.1  ?

--
Best Regards
Florent