[ocaml-opengl] LablGL's Raw module

Anthony Tavener anthony.tavener at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 19:41:16 GMT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Florent Monnier
<monnier.florent at gmail.com>wrote:

> Also I've tried to use VBO with GLCaml, from a working vbo/hello-world
> from glmlite i've tried to rewrite it for glcaml, but I was unable to
> make it work. Does someone know if it's possible to use VBO's with
> GLCaml?

Buffer objects don't work with the current (many years old) version of
glcaml. One small change is needed to several functions: supporting
an integer value as well as string/bigarray. For example, glVertexPointer
needs to be capable of accepting an integer "buffer object name".

with OCaml, I looked into the current state of things yesterday. Not much
has changed... except you (Florent) have gotten a patch into LablGL for
shader support -- hooray! And I also found someone else has added
changes to glcaml/sdlcaml and posted them here:

 https://github.com/crackleware/glcaml

A quick check shows that version has similar changes to what I've done
locally, but it seems they changed the autogeneration program to make
those changes, which is better. They also use glew, which appears to
simplify the interface (removing the explicit function-memoization
throughout glcaml_stub.c, but I don't know if there is any speed/space
tradeoffs -- I'm not familiar with glew).

Anyway, it looks like that version of glcaml should let you use buffer
objects.