[ocaml-platform] Does Core change too often?

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Fri Feb 15 11:30:53 GMT 2013

Core changing regularly at the moment is fine.  There aren't many
third-party packages that depend on it, and we can establish lower
bounds.  Note that the constraints aren't a long-term solution for
compatibility, as you can't have multiple simultaneous library
installations at present.

The short-term annoyance is that all the dependent libraries are
tied to Core versioning, and there is needless churn there.  For
example, both Fieldslib and Comparelib had no substantial changes
in 109.09.00 with respect to 109.08.00:
https://github.com/janestreet/comparelib/commit/b4b36651591d3ebfb970bd22cca8daa803bca93b

The biggest impact for this is felt with type_conv, which invariably
results in a complete recompilation cycle.  I'd be interested in how
you feel about independent versioning of some of these libraries
in the longer term.

-anil