[ocaml-platform] Is this mandatory to continue this discussion [was: on the need and design of OCaml namespaces]

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:49:00 GMT 2013

I'm sorry if you feel the discussion is unproductive or distracts
attention from other important issues related to the OCaml platform.
I, for one, am glad that a discussion of this design question is done
in the open for the first time -- at the price, indeed, of some
lengths of text, but I didn't feel the signal/noise ratio was that
bad.

I'm not sure "voting" on something is the right way to go, as it would
have little actual weight when it comes to convincing the actual
language maintainers to implement or integrate changes, or the people
having specific needs (JaneStreet, or Alain) that their needs will be
respected by the course of events. We could have an opinion poll, but
we already have access to the opinions expressed so far (out of
memory: Leo, Anil and Yaron have a rather precise hierarchical
proposal, Alain wishes to avoid tooling changes, and other people that
have been less involved so far vary between mild interest and strong
doubts that proposed changes tackle the problem in the right
direction).

I feel there is space left for valuable ideas and technical
contributions, by Daniel and Cristophe for example. If there is a
feeling that this is too noisy and drowns other -platform discussion,
I'm ready to take it to another discussion channel (but I would
personally appreciate public archives to be available).