[ocaml-platform] Followup to Leo's proposal

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Tue Mar 12 18:41:56 GMT 2013

On 3/12/2013 2:29 PM, Yaron Minsky wrote:
> I agree this would be useful for many uses --- the DSL case is a
> particularly important one.  My only point is that it does not in my
> mind obviate the need to have auto-opens attached to namespaces.

Agreed.  I believe those are two independent features.  I'm in favor of
allowing auto-open on the command-line; and I don't really mind about
having auto-opens attached to namespaces. That said, as Gabriel, I
really don't like the idea of relying on shadowing to hide/redefine some
declarations; and I'd actually like to have warnings when I use such
ambiguous identifiers whose resolution depend on the ordering of opens
(implicit or not).  (For the case of shadowing local identifiers, I'm
less sure...)

Instead of hiding some identifiers from the stdlib, wouldn't it be more
robust to compile all your code with -nostdlib and expose in Core.Std
all identifiers which you allow to use?

Alain