[ocaml-platform] [opam-devel] opam 1.1.1 to be released shortly

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Fri Jan 10 07:34:23 GMT 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:36:49PM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> > Please discuss any requests or blockers for 1.1.1 !  The biggest current
> > issue is probably the upgrade problems with the built-in heuristic, but
> > there isn't much we can do before the release, and the real solution is
> > to have aspcud packaged and working on OSX.
>
> Thanks Louis!  The solver issue is my last remaining big concern as well
> before getting 1.1.1 out of the door.  It would be very useful to
> characterise the reason for the failure to see if a quick workaround is
> possible, since so many users are hitting it.  If it's just due to the
> growing number of packages, perhaps we can add some more constraints to
> the package descriptions help the solver find a solution more easily?

Thanks Louis for all this work!

As for the solver, unfortunately it is not a simple piece of code that can be
"fixed" with "workarounds", that's why we have been strongly advocating to use a
modular architecture for package managers, with interchangeable solvers clearly
separated from the rest, see for example
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2012.09.002

The only sensible thing to do is to actually package aspcud (and possibly
also packup and mccs) for Mac OSX and Windows, which is a reasonably simple
engineering task; I have contacted the developer team of aspcud to encourage
them to do this, and I do have hope to see this done in the year, but I have
no guarantee.

Considering the time frame, and the fact that this kind of issues is
going to come up more and more over time, I do understand that we need
a quicker solution, and the best thing is to ask for help with this
among our friends OCamlrs...

I'll write a detailed mail on the list to this end this afternoon (now,
as alway, meeting... meeting... meeting :-( )

--
Roberto

Professeur               En delegation a l'INRIA
PPS                      E-mail: roberto at dicosmo.org
Universite Paris Diderot WWW  : http://www.dicosmo.org
Case 7014                Tel  : ++33-(0)1-57 27 92 20
5, Rue Thomas Mann
F-75205 Paris Cedex 13   Identica: http://identi.ca/rdicosmo
FRANCE.                  Twitter: http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
Attachments:
MIME accepted, Word deprecated
Office location:

Bureau 3020 (3rd floor)
Batiment Sophie Germain
Avenue de France
Metro Bibliotheque Francois Mitterrand, ligne 14/RER C