[ocaml-platform] Install OPAM in 2 minutes

Alain Frisch alain at frisch.fr
Sun May 4 20:38:21 BST 2014

On 5/3/2014 9:56 AM, Klaus jantzen wrote:
> usr/local/bin/opam: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version
> `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/local/bin/opam)
>
> Where do get this library from?

I've opened a ticket about this issue a few weeks ago:

https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/1330

This kind of errors occurs because the binary version of OPAM has been
compiled on a system with a more recent version of the libc than yours.

There are a number of measures which can be taken to make it more likely
to have the binary distribution run an older systems.  For instance,
compiling asmrun/startup.c with -D_GNU_SOURCE avoids a redirection from
sscanf to __isoc99_sscanf for recent versions of glibc and thus makes
libasmrun.a compatible with older versions of the glibc.  LexiFi had to
do such tricks in the past to enable binary distribution of libraries
including OCaml code.  I don't know if this would be enough to address
the current problem.

One way to check that a distributed binary does not depend on recent
glibc is to run "objdump -t" on the executable and check for
...@@GLIBC_XXX suffixes.

-- Alain