[ocaml-platform] Is it taking too long for OCaml software to become 4.03-compatible? Would release process changes help?

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Jul 1 16:17:24 BST 2016

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 09:10:28AM +0000, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM Alain Frisch <alain at frisch.fr> wrote:
>
> > On 30/06/2016 17:09, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote:
> > Testing only the latest version of each package would already be very
> > useful.  As a matter of fact, it could even detect earlier some problems
> > by restricting the universe only to latest version of all packages (see
> > below).
> >

> Actually, one of my plans when creating opam-builder was to output a list
> of versions that would be compatible for a small set of packages (the
> platform), and create an opam-repository with only them, i.e. it would be
> the equivalent of Debian stable while the standard repository would be
> Debian unstable. Clearly, we currently under-use the information that is
> available in opam-builder.

I'm told that that is how Debian thought they could organise things.
But they discovered that they also needed a  testing repository.  I'm
not sure why, but I think it had to do with unstabe being, well, too
unstable.  Packages mgrated from unstable to testing after a week with
no serious bugs appearing aginst them, but nly after their dependencies
had also migrated.