[Teaching] Asking teachers: what support would you want to distribute OCaml to students ?

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Tue Dec 2 02:48:13 GMT 2014

On how to provide a set of libraries to install, the following is on its way to the FAQ:

«
### Easily provide a set of packages for students to install

The easiest way is to create a package with your prerequisites as `depends` and
have them pin that. A quick way to host the file is to use a
[Gist](https://gist.github.com). Create one with minimal contents and listing
your packages as dependencies -- the file name **has** to be `opam`:

```
opam-version: "1.2"
name: "ocaml101"
version: "0.1"
maintainer: "Louis Gesbert <louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com>"
depends: [ "menhir" { = "20140422" }
           "merlin" { >= "2" }
           "ocp-indent"
           "ocp-index" ]
```

Save that and get the `HTTPS clone URL`. All that is needed then is to run:

```shell
$ opam pin add ocaml101 <HTTPS clone URL>
```

Furthermore, `opam update` will then pick up any modification you made to the gist.
»

Cheers,
Louis