[Teaching] Getting OCaml set up on a mac

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Fri Jan 23 01:25:14 GMT 2015

Thanks for the feedback. It's probably still a bit rough at the moment but the config-updating engine is there, and polishing configuration itself from there should be straight-forward (and never-ending).

The idea, with this and the "depext" package is to have a setup that can be limited to:

    PACKAGES="user-setup merlin utop cohttp js_of_ocaml oasis ocp-indent ocp-index ssl core_extended async js_of_ocaml core_bench cohttp cryptokit menhir"
    opam init -a
    opam install depext
    opam depext $PACKAGES
    opam install $PACKAGES

and results in a ready-to-go environment. This is in particular targetted at VM setup, of course.

> - Yaron Minsky, 22/01/2015 10:56 -
> It installed cleanly for me, but it doesn't quite work.  I installed
> user-setup, merlin, ocp-indent, tuareg, utop, core and async.  It all
> went through, but when I open a .ml file, it shows up in lisp mode,
> not tuareg.

Seems it doesn't handle the opam-installed tuareg package well at the moment, should be fixed in a moment.

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Greg Morrisett <greg at eecs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > Okay, I just followed these steps:
> >>
> >>   opam update
> >>   opam install user-setup
> >
> > and it seems to be hanging.  Is there a log file or
> > other config information that I can send you to help
> > figure this out?

Thanks. I just managed to reproduce on OPAM 1.1 and hope to fix it quickly.

Best,
Louis