[wg-camlp4] My uses of syntax extension

Török Edwin edwin+ml-ocaml at etorok.net
Fri Jan 25 19:38:16 GMT 2013

Hi,

Here are my uses of camlp4:

* camlp4o     - for better syntax errors (see http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5068). This is a time-saver during development
* js_of_ocaml - (blogpost says its not really needed if a different operator would be used)
* bisect      - haven't figured how to use ppx from oasis/ocamlfind, The camlp4 one is as simple as:
	$(SETUP) -build -tag pkg_bisect -tag pkg_str -tag syntax_camlp4o -tag syntax_bisect_pp $(BUILDFLAGS)

camlp4 syntax extensions needed to build libraries that I use:
lwt, tyxml (needs camlp4of), camlp4.macro

Syntax extensions I considered using but never got around to:
pa-monad (didn't really need it), bitstring

Also when initially learning OCaml I have used the revised syntax (camlp4r) quite heavily.
Nowadays I write everything in the original syntax.
While I wouldn't miss the revised syntax, I do think that its much easier to first learn the revised syntax so it'd be nice
if the camlp4 replacement provided that as well.

Best regards,
--Edwin