[wg-camlp4] Meta Programming from the view of the implementaion

Thomas Gazagnaire thomas at ocamlpro.com
Thu Jan 31 13:33:25 GMT 2013

> It would be useful to get feedback from users: do people actually use pa_tyxml, pa_json, etc, and do they consider this is really better than proposed alternatives?

I definitely use (and like) quotations to write web applications. with https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cow. This is used for instance to generate mirage (https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/blob/master/src/blog.ml) and OPAM (https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam2web) websites.

If you look at the code source there, I use anti-quotations more like a templating system (and I'm fine if I can only do that) and quotations as simple multi-line & auto-escaping strings. In some source files, I mix HTML and CSS quotations, where the CSS is actually rewritten to unnest nested blocks by the quotation system and where some HTML antiquotations are CSS values.

If you have a simple way to add that in your new system I will be quite happy (and I don't really care about the syntax, I would simply prefer a light one such as <:html*.. *> where '*' is any character instead of having to write {foo{bar{...}}foo} but that's not really important to me).

 --
Thomas