[wg-camlp4] Structure/signature attributes suggestion

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Fri Oct 18 15:13:29 BST 2013

On 10/12/2013 11:36 AM, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> I don't think that the use case of putting free-floating section nodes
> in between mutually recursive declarations is important enough to
> provoke large changes to the AST structure. Alain's suggestion to not
> have any special syntax for this seems sensible.

Leo mentioned the risk that by using normal item attributes for sections
can yield to suprising results if -ppx rewriter start moving declaration
around or inserting new ones.

I think it makes sense to keep floating attributes in general.  They are
useful also to turn warnings on/off, for instance.  And it is fine to
use them for ocamldoc section as well (and also to specify an initial
header, before the first item).   Now if there is really a need to split
sections in the middle of a group of mutally recursive declarations,
using attributes on each declaration is probably fine.

Do you agree?

Alain