[wg-parallel] About Lwt and Async

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Wed May 1 01:26:35 BST 2013

Le mardi, 30 avril 2013 à 22:15, Yaron Minsky a écrit :
> It's a beautiful dream, but it sounds implausible to me.

I don't dream, I write code. But, glancing over the discussion, I guess there are factors at that play that are not purely technical here.

> I think one might as well propose writing programs in a way that is independent of
> the programming language. This is doable in some small ways on the
> margin, but it's not a practical approach.

I don't think that's the point. I guess when you read/use code that you are not happy with it's just sane to not depend too much on it. That may be painful in the short term but more rewarding in the long term (which is what I'm interested in).

> But this represents only a small part of the concurrent code that one writes, and so only
> solves a small part of the problem.

The question is which amount of the concurrent code you write is really application independent. I don't have the answer but my bet on that is that it's actually quite few. You may have a few concurrency patterns but I don't see how this couldn't be provided the asynchronous libraries themselves using the asynchronously "agnostic" primitive libraries.

But that may require a different mindset (especially one that is not tied to the application one is currently writing).

Best,

Daniel