[ocaml-infra] ocaml.org VM infrastructure

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Tue Feb 5 18:22:21 GMT 2013

2013/2/5 Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org>

> The OCaml.org VMs have been somewhat bottlenecked on me recently, as I've
> been investigating different cloud toolstacks to handle all the various
> services we need.
>
> I was somewhat underwhelmed by OpenStack, but our friends at OnApp have
> generously donated a lifetime license to run the ocaml.org infrastructure
> using the OnApp private cloud platform.  This means that we should be able
> to provision accounts for multiple people, but still have centralised
> backup and a shiny web interface. Sylvain, this will particularly apply to
> you immediately, but I imagine more things will come up.

I am not at all aware of the OnApp private cloud platform. From a quick
read of their website, I think this is a kind of provisionning/managing
system where you say "I want a VM, using Debian 6.0 x64, with 3GB of RAM
and 500GB of disk" (and get it). I suppose you also have to define a kind
of virtual IP that can be redirected in order to handle the failover.

It is a little bit overkilling for what I want, but lets take advantage of
this and see how we can play with it ;-)

I start to have a quite nice background on this kind of system, thanks to
my current job... I think in order to really take advantage of this you
need more then one computer (i.e. a cloud) and I am not sure it integrates
well with RPi setup. Although for launching self-contained server, like
oasis-db, this can be a very nice tools (but require more work and
discpline for deployment).

Looking forward to play with that.

Cheers
Sylvain