[opam-devel] current opam-repository policy : who can modify a package description

Hannes Mehnert hannes at mehnert.org
Mon Feb 22 16:39:23 GMT 2016

On 02/22/16 05:31 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> Interesting idea -- so this would mean that OPAM has to remap
> upstream versions into something that is a semantic version.
>
> Does Elm eliminate this by mandating that libraries should
> "natively" all be semantically versioned?  We can't do this in
> OCaml today since there are too many upstream packages with
> their own versioning notions.

Elm seems to check whether the API is compatible, and if not, only
accepts a release if major is bumped:
https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-package#version-rules

What does "own versioning notions" mean?  I'd appreciate if the
community would enforce (by peer pressure and adequate tooling) semantic
versioning for the main opam-repository.

hannes