[ocaml-platform] problems with ocaml-top

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Tue Sep 27 06:48:25 BST 2016

On lundi 26 septembre 2016 11:21:26 CEST Ashish Agarwal wrote:
> The last release of ocaml-top is from Jan 2014. The OCaml ecosystem has
> evolved a lot since then, so perhaps it just doesn't work with the latest
> OCaml.
>
> I'm not familiar with ocaml-top. From reading its webpage, I think you
> might find the following tools useful: utop, merlin, tuareg, and
> ocp-indent. These are all widely used and actively maintained.

These are all command-line tools and/or helpers for full-blown editors, so the
scope is quite different from that of ocaml-top, which is a simple GUI
coupling a text editor with a toplevel (with simplicity and lab sessions in
mind).

A much closer successor would be the yet unreleased LearnOCaml [1], although
it provides much more than just editor+toplevel. It's in part derived from the
platform that was put in place for the OCaml MOOC.

I'll try to find the time for a quick update of ocaml-top, though, it can be
useful and there is no direct equivalent. It mainly suffers from being based
on (labl)GTK, which is a pain...

[1] https://github.com/OCamlPro/learn-ocaml