[ocaml-platform] problems with ocaml-top

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Tue Sep 27 07:00:50 BST 2016

You should probably have directed this to the ocaml-top bug tracker [1], but
I'll answer here.

[1] https://github.com/OCamlPro/ocaml-top/issues

On dimanche 25 septembre 2016 10:17:26 CEST Eric DETREZ wrote:
> Hello
>
> I tried to install ocaml-top (I use debian jessie)
> When I launch it from terminal : /home/ericd13/.opam/system/bin
> i get a lot of warnings (deprecated pp_open_tbox tabulation boxes are not
> suported anymore)

Ok, this is just from the built-in .ocamlinit file, shouldn't be difficult to
fix. You can safely ignore these warnings for now.

> The console gets a message :
> (ocaml-top:28826): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2108 was not found when
> attempting to remove it

This is from GTK. In my experience, almost all GTK applications spam the
console with warnings and errors when run from a terminal. If the GUI doesn't
show bugs it's probably safe to ignore them...

> But Ocaml is version 4.03.0 (the one OPAM installed)
>
> If I launch it from thunar it's version 4.01.0

ocaml-top will simply launch the `ocaml` executable it finds from the PATH, so
if you run it from a terminal where opam was properly initialised, it will use
the one from opam, but otherwise might fall back to the one that was installed
system-wide. You can add the argument `-ocaml /path/to/ocaml` (e.g. `ocaml-top
-ocaml ~/.opam/4.02.3/bin/ocaml`) to make sure of the one that is used.

I'll try to find the time to release a new version in order to fix the first
point.

Best,
Louis Gesbert -- OCamlPro