[ocaml-infra] ocaml.org licensing

Fabrice Le Fessant Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr
Thu Feb 27 10:35:21 GMT 2014

Ok, so if we only focus on licensing, I would like to have licenses
attached to directories in the GIT directory, i.e. make it easy to
know which file is under which license. It is especially important for
point (D): whoever wants to customize its own version of the website
(for example, for a version of the website translated to another
language), but with a different design (with flags, for example :-) ),
should know immediatly the parts that shouldn't be used on the new
website, and have to be replaced.

Otherwise, I think we (OCamlPro) are good with the current licensing policy.

> The question of *who* the contributors are is very straightforward as we have git logs of all activity [1].  You can even see this per page if you wish [2].

I think contributors deserve a better place on the website than being
in a GIT log. Having a credit page listing all the contributors would
be enough. It would be easy for anybody that contributes to add his
own name to that page in the same pull-request as the content being
pushed.

About the governance, I do think you should not mix contributors and
governance, as currently done, for such a community website, but I
will keep my point for the corresponding discussion.

--Fabrice

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Amir Chaudhry <amc79 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>>> libraries that OCaml.org relies on substantially. Additional scripts are
>>> not particularly complex in nature, and we feel their use should not be
>>> restricted.
>>>
>>> (C) Code examples within content. For example, you can see many of these on
>>> the 99 problems page [5]. These are typically small pieces of useful code
>>> and we want people to be able to use them however they see fit. We want to
>>> do this without the burden of attribution that an open source license (e.g.
>>> ISC) would require, so placing them in the public domain seems like the
>>> sensible thing to do. The UNLICENSE [3] is one way of putting works in the
>>> public domain and is how code examples in Real World OCaml are released
>>> [4].
>>>
>>> (D) Design of the site. This is essentially the CSS, banner image, and
>>> custom logos (except the OCaml logo, see (E) below). The design uniquely
>>> identifies ocaml.org, and it would be awkward if another site looked
>>> similar. It seems sensible to reserve all rights over the design and
>>> disallow copying it in any form.
>>>
>>> (E) The new OCaml logo [7], which you see in the top-left of ocaml.org,
>>> should be encouraged. We hope this can be a unifying symbol of all things
>>> related to OCaml. Everyone should use this logo in their OCaml blogs,
>>> websites, documentation, presentations, T-shirts, stickers, etc. Thus, it
>>> should be usable freely by all, which can be achieved by releasing it under
>>> the UNLICENSE.
>>>
>>> (F) OCaml.org also hosts abstracts and slides for various meetings, such as
>>> the OCaml Users and Developers Workshop. Contributors should retain all
>>> rights over those works or be subject to whatever agreement they have with
>>> the respective meeting. They are not considered part of the Content as
>>> defined in (A).
>>>
>>> [1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
>>> [2] http://opensource.org/licenses/ISC
>>> [3] http://unlicense.org
>>> [4] https://github.com/realworldocaml/examples/blob/master/UNLICENSE
>>> [5] http://ocaml.org/learn/tutorials/99problems.html
>>> [6] https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org
>>> [7] http://ocaml.org/img/ocaml.png
>>
>> It would be nice too if the rephrase "software" by "piece of work"
>> would also be made for licenses applying on the code, so that when
>> someone makes a piece of work that includes at the same time code,
>> graphics and music everything could be licensed under the same
>> conditions in an uniformly way which would not introduce
>> hierarchisation in the different kind of works.
>
> I don't think we should alter the legal documents themselves.  We're using existing licenses because they're widespread and largely understood.  Tweaking those would be akin to forking them, which I think would have more negative effects for us than positive.  The only exception I see to this is the release of the OCaml logo into the public domain, as mentioned above.

Fabrice LE FESSANT
Chercheur en Informatique
INRIA Paris Rocquencourt -- OCamlPro
Programming Languages and Distributed Systems