[ocaml-infra] ocaml.org licensing

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Thu Feb 27 10:39:38 GMT 2014

On 27 Feb 2014, at 10:35, Fabrice Le Fessant <Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr> wrote:

> Ok, so if we only focus on licensing, I would like to have licenses
> attached to directories in the GIT directory, i.e. make it easy to
> know which file is under which license. It is especially important for
> point (D): whoever wants to customize its own version of the website
> (for example, for a version of the website translated to another
> language), but with a different design (with flags, for example :-) ),
> should know immediatly the parts that shouldn't be used on the new
> website, and have to be replaced.

I agree with this.  Although it makes the source files uglier, I also
prefer having an explicit license per-file, since this eases copying
individual source modules into other projects.  (This doesn't apply to
documentation, just source code).

> Otherwise, I think we (OCamlPro) are good with the current licensing policy.

Great!

>> The question of *who* the contributors are is very straightforward as we have git logs of all activity [1].  You can even see this per page if you wish [2].
>
> I think contributors deserve a better place on the website than being
> in a GIT log. Having a credit page listing all the contributors would
> be enough. It would be easy for anybody that contributes to add his
> own name to that page in the same pull-request as the content being
> pushed.

This will get out of date pretty fast, and also results in a lot of merge
conflicts if there are multiple outstanding requests.  I recommend just
autogenerating it using Thomas' Git implementation
(http://github.com/samoht/ocaml-git).

best,
Anil