[ocaml-infra] Are user-modifiable OCaml snippets available on ocaml.org?

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:10:04 BST 2015

In #706 I remarked that the current "Basics" tutorial page is an
unsatisfying compromise between "a tour/taste of the language" and "basic
setup to try a few things", mixing presentation of language features with
advice to get code running.

  https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/pull/706

Thinking more about the matter, I think this could be solved by having a
web widget that contains OCaml code (and the result) and the user can play
with. This allows to *both* present language features from a toplevel-like
interface, and let the user play with it without installation steps.

(An example of use of this feature would be the very nicely done "School of
Haskell" website:

https://www.fpcomplete.com/school/using-fphc/how-to-use-the-school-of-haskell/soh-markdown
)

I stay away from web development with a passion, so I'm mostly ignorant of
(1) how this could be executed (I would expect either TryOCaml or IOcamlJS
to be embedded somehow) and (2) whether this capability is actually
available today (and how to use it).

My question is actually three-fold:
- I'm asking for a feature I could use as a contributor to the website.
- If it exists, I would be interested in a documentation of this feature
(it may be that just the code of working example suffices).
- Because I was not able to know whether the feature exists, I think there
may be a need for a clearer place where to find this "website contribution
information". There is the README and http://ocaml.org/about.html , but
none of them quite seem to fit the bill.

Once the actual current status of this is clarified, I would be happy to
write issue reports for easier tracking. Thanks for the website work!