[ocaml-infra] Are user-modifiable OCaml snippets available on ocaml.org?

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:38:26 BST 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 5:10 AM, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> (1) how this could be executed (I would expect either TryOCaml or IOcamlJS
> to be embedded somehow)

Yes, I believe those are the two options, though I'm also not very
knowledgeable about this. Both require a fair amount of extra work, either
another server and/or some additional amount of development. For example,
my efforts to use IOCaml first led to several bug reports. It's not
something that just worked. (The author is extremely responsive, so no
criticism here, but the point is it wasn't production ready when I last
tried it).

and (2) whether this capability is actually available today (and how to use
> it).

No, no such feature exists. The closest thing is the feature used in 99
Problems <https://ocaml.org/learn/tutorials/99problems.html>. The source
<https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/blob/master/site/learn/tutorials/99problems.md>
for that page contains toplevel commands, which are auto-evaluated and
inserted into the HTML output.

- Because I was not able to know whether the feature exists, I think there
> may be a need for a clearer place where to find this "website contribution
> information".

Indeed there is no such page. The current instructions are basically
"freely edit pretty much any file under the site directory", but of course
there is more detail that could and should be provided. We currently have a
contributors <https://ocaml.org/contributors.html> page, which could be
reworked to "contributing", and a link could be added to the Contact
section in the footer and other places. I'm tracking in #713
<https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/issues/713>.