[ocaml-infra] New Git repository in ocaml GitHub org

David Allsopp dra-news at metastack.com
Wed Jan 25 13:45:20 GMT 2017

I'm hoping to merge OCaml GPR#1014
(https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/1014) in advance of the OCaml 4.05 code
freeze. The principal aim of this GPR is to stop the Changes file being a
constant source of merge conflicts on open pull requests. This is fixed by
splitting the Changes file into individual entries which are recombined
using a script. At each release, the individual files are merged into
Changes and the new Changes file committed in one go (for convenience, in a
manner not unrelated to having both configure.ac and configure in a
repository).

It is desirable to keep the fragment files, but these add considerable
weight to the main repository (and OCaml sources tarball). I have proposed
in the solution using a Git submodule to store the archived entries. The
submodule is at present at https://github.com/dra27/ocaml-changelog and I
would like to move this repository to the ocaml namespace. It would be
sensible for the repository not to accept pull requests or issues via the
GUI and, unless others are keen to be able to perform the OCaml release
manager's job, only I (at least for the initial commits) and Damien Doligez
definitely need push access to it.

All best,

David