[ocaml-infra] discuss.ocaml.org now available

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Sat May 13 12:48:59 BST 2017

Dear all,

Firstly, thank you to Marshall for kicking off this discussion.  It seems clear from the discussion that there is a desire for an asynchronous, modern mailing-list style communications mechanism for the community.  There are several other more synchronous chat-based solutions (IRC, Slack, Gitter), but Discourse stood out as as an open-source forum that is successfully used by other communities such as Rust [1].

Therefore, I have set up a hosted Discourse instance at http://discuss.ocaml.org as an experimental service, and now need your help to decide whether or not this is a viable longer term solution for our community.  It is open to signups, and we have two immediate things to do:

- Decide how to organise the categories in the site [2]
- A timeline for shifting various ocaml.org services over to this [3]

Most immediately, as we decide on categories, we need volunteers to help nurture the site and keep an eye on their areas. Globally, there are currently two administrators (Gabriel Scherer and myself), and we can expand access controls as the site comes into its own.

It is open to public signups immediately, so please do give it a try. Bear in mind that as it is experimental, it is probably a good idea to expect some rearrangements of the configuration in the next few weeks. Anyone interested is extremely welcome to comment on the existing topics below with their opinions, or to begin a new one as appropriate.

[1] Gabriel Scherer did the research the last time this topic came up! https://users.rust-lang.org/t/what-are-rusts-discourse-hosting-plans-and-time-requirement/6462

[2] http://discuss.ocaml.org/t/which-categories-to-create-in-the-site/19

[3] http://discuss.ocaml.org/t/discussion-site-status-and-timeline/23

best regards,