[ocaml-infra] [Caml-list] discuss.ocaml.org now available

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon May 15 15:33:23 BST 2017

On 15 May 2017, at 21:26, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "AM" == Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org> writes:
>
> AM> Therefore, I have set up a hosted Discourse instance at
> AM> http://discuss.ocaml.org as an experimental service, and now need
> AM> your help to decide whether or not this is a viable longer term
> AM> solution for our community.
>
> I don't know if I'll have the time to monitor this to include in the
> Caml Weekly News (at the moment I include material from this list, from
> the github pull requests (which I receive automatically by mail), and
> from the ocaml.org planet aggregation). Do you think I should include
> the discussions there in the CWN, and if so can I easily interact with
> Discourse using email?

An excellent question -- it seems unfair to burden you with monitoring
yet another forum for the CWN.

Would anyone be willing to summarise some of the more interesting
threads from discuss.ocaml.org and forward a summary to Alan?
It may also be possible to script this up with the http://docs.discourse.org
web API to get a list of titles and URLs, but I expect that it would still need
someone to edit it into a more succinct form for you to include on CWN.

Also, would it also be useful to cross-post CWN to discuss.ocaml.org?
I believe it is possible to generate new posts directly via e-mail, so this
should just involve you CCing a new address. I haven't quite figured out
how this works yet, but will do soon if there's interest...

If you (or anyone else) wants to interact with discuss.ocaml.org via
email only, there is a "mailing list mode" you have to activate, and then
everything shows up in your inbox as multipart email (html and plaintext
markdown, suitable for mutt).