[opam-devel] broken stats on opam.ocaml.org

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Fri Oct 18 12:57:48 BST 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 01:50:28PM +0200, Louis Gesbert wrote:
> the stats are generated from the http log. Since monday, the hits are
> all logged by nginx as coming from 127.0.0.1, which obviously breaks the
> stats :/ Any idea on how the configuration (proxying etc.) may cause
> this and possible solutions ?

Good point -- we're using Stud:
https://github.com/bumptech/stud

It has support for something that solves our problem:
> stud will optionally write the client IP address as the first few octets
> (depending on IPv4 or IPv6) to the backend--or provide that information
> using HAProxy's PROXY protocol. When used with the PROXY protocol, stud
> can also transparently pass an existing PROXY header to the cleartext
> stream. This is especially useful if a TCP proxy is used in front of stud.
> Using either of these techniques, backends who care about the client IP
> can still access it even though stud itself appears to be the connected
> client.

But...what static web server is opam.ocaml.org using?  If it's nginx, then
it should already have support for this, or we could configure it to serve
SSL traffic directly...

--
Anil Madhavapeddy                                 http://anil.recoil.org