[opam-devel] How to manage a package manager (Was: Re: [opam] Build clarification (#1149))

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Feb 3 15:43:44 GMT 2014

On 3 Feb 2014, at 12:32, Richard Mortier <mort at cantab.net> wrote:

> + opam install of a pinned package is a bit brittle if you're in the
> middle of editing the contents -- emacs appears to create symlinks
> which can end up dangling, which breaks the rsync (possibly the -L
> switch would help?) usually with several pages of output to trawl
> through to notice what happened.
>
> apologies if that comes across as a rant -- it's not meant to be! if
> it would help, i'm happy to add issues to github; i wasn't sure how to
> carve them up though.

These are all extremely useful comments (and I've hit the rsync bug
myself on several occasions).  Please do file bug reports for them.

I've got a helper script to locally clone and pin git remotes for
exactly the 'offline work' reason, so I could clean that up.  Also,
we could improve the documentation of how to create a local package
archive, as I don't see that on the OPAM wiki.