[opam-devel] [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml v0.3

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Fri Feb 14 15:27:23 GMT 2014

> Hi Sylvian
>
> On 02/14/2014 01:43 PM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
>>

>> I would 100% prefer that ocaml-zmq "ownership" or "official branch"
>> became Issuu branch. I think it will be better to have 1 maintained
>> package than 1 maintain and 1 unmaintained.
>>
>> That said, I am not sure how to transfer ownership in Github (or even
>> if it is possible). So my proposal, is to create a forge project to
>> just host the tarballs and made OPAM to point to it. I am not saying
>> that the project VCS should move away from Github! I just think that a
>> forge project would be nice and would allow to have the maintained
>> branch release there...
>>
>> An alternate method is to use:
>> http://oasis.ocamlcore.org/dev/view/ZMQ/latest
>>
>> But this old OASIS-DB instance will go through major refactoring some
>> time this year, so I would prefer hosting tarballs on Forge...
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean by ownership.
>
> GitHub does not have a notion of ownership or "official" repository across
> forks (its does track forks though, so you could say it has a notion of
> "upstream").

Well, it is one of the thing I don't like about github:

https://github.com/pdhborges/ocaml-zmq

And everything seems to be forked from this repository... So it looks
to me that the official repository is this one and that the owner is
pdhborges! You can argue that you can look at the network graph to see
that another one is more active and in advance, but this network graph
is super long to load and when it works, it is not that obvious who is
in advance....

But maybe I am missing the point here.

I don't like having my name in the URL for my project, because I don't
feel I have a strong ownership of it (or at least I would like to
invite anyone to participate).

> Like Anil, I'm not exactly sure how forge helps in this case as Active
> development would still occur on github. And I guess the idea is to allow
> users to understand where to find most resent sources. Opam should be able
> to provide a reference to the relevant fork on github.

I was suggesting the forge just for hosting tarballs, no dev involved there.

And indeed, OPAM can point to the official repository. But whenever
someone will look for ocaml-zmq on Google the first link will be
pdhborges/ocaml-zmq for at least a couple of months and most people
may assume that it is the official one. If you update this in OPAM,
you will have to go to OPAM read the page and realize that the
official one is not the one that Google reports.... I just think this
is misleading. But this is just about communication, no dev here.

But all this is a side discussion -- sorry to bring it here. I think
removal of ocaml-zmq and adding zmq with and updated URL is the way to
go for OPAM. This is a fine solution, probably better than hosting on
the Forge.

Sylvain