[opam-devel] What metrics for opam-repository ?

Thomas Gazagnaire thomas at gazagnaire.org
Fri Oct 3 08:30:05 BST 2014

Thanks for asking Louis.

> Stating the obvious:
> * The ultimate goal is better user experience
> * The metrics must correspond to a criterion that we want to optimize to lead towards that goal
> * Related, secondary goal is to give pointers to maintainers on what to improve
> * Finally, as much packages (and versions?) as possible should be installable, all ocaml versions and archs
> included.
>
> Please be constructive !

From a maintainer point-of-view, the "implicit" static quality I'm tending towards is:

- for each package, there should be at least one version which works for every compiler. If not, there should be at least one version which works on the latest compiler.
- for each package, none of the versions should be broken on all compilers
- for each package, none of the versions should be in conflict

Only the 3rd point is specific to dependencies meta-data. The first 2 points also applies to build results.

Still as a maintainer point-of-view, I'm interested by the root causes of all of this as these better reflect the amount of work needed to improve.

Thomas