[opam-devel] What metrics for opam-repository ?

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Sun Oct 5 15:31:58 BST 2014

On 3 Oct 2014, at 08:30, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas at gazagnaire.org> wrote:

> Thanks for asking Louis.
>
>> Stating the obvious:
>> * The ultimate goal is better user experience
>> * The metrics must correspond to a criterion that we want to optimize to lead towards that goal
>> * Related, secondary goal is to give pointers to maintainers on what to improve
>> * Finally, as much packages (and versions?) as possible should be installable, all ocaml versions and archs
>> included.
>>
>> Please be constructive !
>
> From a maintainer point-of-view, the "implicit" static quality I'm tending towards is:
>
> - for each package, there should be at least one version which works for every compiler. If not, there should be at least one version which works on the latest compiler.
> - for each package, none of the versions should be broken on all compilers
> - for each package, none of the versions should be in conflict
>
> Only the 3rd point is specific to dependencies meta-data. The first 2 points also applies to build results.
>
> Still as a maintainer point-of-view, I'm interested by the root causes of all of this as these better reflect the amount of work needed to improve.

The other dimension that's as important is the depexts metadata for different operating systems.  We've started on Ubuntu/Debian pretty well, and have the beginnings of OSX Homebrew and CentOS, but there's a long way to go to get these to be reliable.  Metrics tracking the quality of bulk builds per-OS would be quite useful to have.