[opam-devel] Becoming an opam-repository merger

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Sat Oct 18 12:50:43 BST 2014

> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:59:14 +0100
> Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas at gazagnaire.org> wrote:
>
>> That's fine if the dependency is explicitly wanted by the packager. But that's usually a (beginner) mistake, as  the auto-generated distribution files are most of the time included in the tarball.
>
> Got it. I sometimes use oasis in dynamic mode nowadays meaning that oasis dependency is required.

In this case, the oasis dependency is required.

Although, one open question:
- AFAIR, it is possible to checkout a version of a package from the
VCS (git and darcs field)
- most of the time the difference between VCS and released tarball
using _oasis is that the VCS uses dynamic mode and the release tarball
includes a standalone setup.ml
- how do you define dependencies for VCS package ?

(this is a quite common situation, in the C++/C world you would need
automake/autogen/m4 for the VCS and not for the tarball)