[opam-devel] Becoming an opam-repository merger

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Mon Oct 20 01:58:28 BST 2014

> Although, one open question:
> - AFAIR, it is possible to checkout a version of a package from the
> VCS (git and darcs field)
> - most of the time the difference between VCS and released tarball
> using _oasis is that the VCS uses dynamic mode and the release tarball
> includes a standalone setup.ml
> - how do you define dependencies for VCS package ?
>
> (this is a quite common situation, in the C++/C world you would need
> automake/autogen/m4 for the VCS and not for the tarball)

Normally the opam file from the repo is used for the release, and the one included in the source is used for when the package is pinned, so it's possible to specify the VCS dep only there. You'll need to remember to remove it when you release though.

When packages are specified with a VCS url in the repo, I guess the opam file in the repo should be consistent with it.