[opam-devel] opam publish package name

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Aug 18 16:50:07 BST 2015

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 06:09, Fabrice Le Fessant <Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org> wrote:
>> Sounds fine to me.  It's too late to enforce the "opam-" prefix in the package name unfortunately.
>
> Why is it too late ? If I understand correctly, when you type "opam
> xxx", opam tries to install the "xxx" package if it does not match an
> existing command ? We could have a transition period where depext
> exists as both opam-depext and depext packages, no ?

I meant that it would be cleaner if OPAM's plugin logic had searched for
"opam-foo" rather than "foo" in the first place.  It's odd to have OPAM
packages called "publish" and "depext" instead of "opam-publish" and
"opam-depext", but not the end of the world.  It's too late to change the
logic now since OPAM 1.2.x will be in Ubuntu LTS for some years, and so
the transition period would be several years even if we push OPAM 1.3.0
out of the door in the next month...