[opam-devel] On the new mixed mode pins

David Sheets kosmo.zb at gmail.com
Sat May 16 15:24:50 BST 2015

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Daniel Bünzli
<daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch> wrote:
> Le samedi, 16 mai 2015 à 15:40, David Sheets a écrit :
>> > In fact if we wanted to be consistent with what a `git clone` would do (the least surprising in my opinion), we should maybe rather take the repository's current active branch whenever we `opam pin -k git $PATH`.
>>
>> Agreed. This is the same VCS reference semantic that the mixed mode
>> VCS pins currently have. This does make the VCS mode dependent on
>> local working tree state and divergent from a remote repository but I
>> believe this state is so small and 'obvious' as to be acceptable.
>
> Note to be sure we understood the same: we pick up the branch that is current whenever `opam pin -k git $PATH` is invoked and then sticks to that branch (so that the pin is not subject to working directory changes, my obsession).

Ah, I had not understood that. To ensure clarity, here are the two options:

1. `opam pin -k git add $PKG $PATH` -> $PKG#$BRANCH
2. `opam pin -k git add $PKG $PATH` -> $PKG which tracks the currently
checked out branch

I believe you propose 1 which removes branch-less pins altogether and
does not refer to local state. I like this design. Re-pinning can be
used to switch branches.