[opam-devel] pinned package not installing dependencies

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Fri Jan 22 09:29:31 GMT 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Louis Gesbert
<louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com> wrote:
> Indeed, that must be the error:
> the default behaviour, on the repository, is to just ignore a field when it
> doesn't have the expected format -- to break as little as possible when the
> repository isn't exactly as expected (repository bug, or problem of
> compatibility beteen versions).
>
> This shouldn't, of course, be the case for pinned packages when using an opam
> file from the source or the user -- so that may be a bug in Opam. In any
> case, I would recomment using `--debug` to see what happens.
>
> Best,
> Louis Gesbert - OCamlPro

Thanks Louis,

You're right, I do get a message when running with --debug (which I
thought I tried, I must have missed it somehow):

[WARNING] At ~/Desktop/gup-opam/gup-test/packages.dev/gup/gup.opam:8:19:
            Expected a list of constraints

So that would definitely have pointed me to the problem if I'd seen
it. I can see why you might not show that to a casual user of a broken
repo, but it'd be great to see this warning more prominently on pinned
packages.

Thanks,
 - Tim