[opam-devel] OPAM 2.0 features

David Allsopp dra-news at metastack.com
Thu May 26 10:36:48 BST 2016

Hi (Louis mainly, I expect!),

	I've rebased work I've been very slowly doing onto the OPAM 2.0
alpha release and have been starting to get opam switch to work. There are a
few things which I need to be able to do for this, and I'm wondering if
there any opinions (or even existing features I've missed) as to
mechanisms...

1. Downloading a package from several tarballs
	I've not finished delving into the full details, but I think I'm
correct that the url file / section can only specify a single archive, even
if it can be made available by multiple transports? Bootstrapping OCaml on
Windows requires two tarballs, so I was going to extend the url system to
allow multiple tarballs to be specified (with control over where in the
overall tree they are extracted), rather than hackily including the second
one in files and extracting it using a build command.

2. Specifying package variables at opam switch install
	I've extended the ocaml package variables to include three new ones:
ocaml-arch (which is exactly the architecture determined by OCaml's
configure script), ocaml-cc (which is "cl" for a Microsoft C compiler based
OCaml or "cc" for the rest of the world), and ocaml-libc (which is "msvc"
for the four native Windows OCaml ports and "libc" for the rest of the
world).

	At OPAM switch time, one selects which Windows port you get by
specifying these three variables. So, for example, mingw64 is
ocaml-arch=amd64, ocaml-cc=cc, ocaml-libc=msvc; msvc32 is ocaml-arch=i386,
ocaml-cc=cl, ocaml-libc=msvc; cygwin64 is ocaml-arch=amd64, ocaml-cc=cc,
ocaml-libc=libc.

	My question is how to specify these - the concept of "architecture",
"C compiler type" and "C runtime library" is generic enough that it doesn't
feel too bad to have opam switch --cc=cl --arch=amd64 4.03.0 and have the
package initialise ocaml-arch, etc. based on those globally available
variables. However, is there any plan (or existing feature) for a more
generic way of specifying package input variables? (discussed in
https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2247).

3. Upgrading dependent packages for the root
	Any Windows OCaml installation will depend upon FlexDLL objects
compiled with the specific C compiler combination. Although in principle
these could be shared between multiple switches (the object files vary
according ocaml-cc, ocaml-libc and ocaml-arch; not ocaml-version), it makes
sense to compile these two object files per-switch, rather than introduce
yet another installation layer.

	This means that in addition to the base packages, the Windows OCaml
package depends on a flexdll package. Is there any philosophical reason for
that not to be part of opam upgrade? Obviously, one doesn't want to be
trying to upgrade the ocaml package, but why lock its dependencies at a
given version? It would be quite nice if a new version of flexdll is
released to be able to have opam upgrade notice that flexdll can be
upgraded, determine that the root package must therefore be recompiled and
so automatically recompile the entire switch.

	Is it just for philosophical reasons that the dependencies of the
root package are not considered for upgrade or is there a technical
consideration?

TIA,

David