[ocaml-platform] Is this mandatory to continue this discussion [was: on the need and design of OCaml namespaces]

Mike Lin mlin at mlin.net
Wed Feb 27 23:19:55 GMT 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy <avsm2 at cl.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2013, at 11:22, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am not trying to imply that it is non-productive or whatever, I just
> > want to focus on what is needed for the OCaml platform. If people feel
> > this is mandatory, feel free to continue this discussion and ACK that
> > it is required for ocaml platform. I just want to be sure that
> > everyone thinks this is required.
> >
> > IMHO, I think this is not mandatory and I would have expect that the
> > first thread on platform list would be "what packages to choose for
> > v1" or "what are the targets arch" or "what is the deadline" or "what
> > is the policy for including a package in the ocaml-platform". Having
> > discussion that "at best" will postpone OCaml platform v1 until
> > namespaces are implemented, is somehow problematic...
> >
> > The SUCCESS of the ocaml-platform is to deliver something in a few
> months.
>
> Not true. The success of the Platform is to deliver something that
> will be used by serious users of OCaml, and to learn from their experiences
> at the same time.  We obviously don't intend to take years doing it, but
> there's also no mad rush to lash something up in a few weeks.

I sympathize with where Sylvain was going with that, though. To learn from
the experiences of serious users of OCaml, you've gotta put something in
their hands. OPAM's 'alpha' period was a great example of shipping early
(clearly with a lot of rough edges) and iterating on it quickly - I hope
you can stick to that model.

So I'd join Sylvain in hoping to see more details/discussion ASAP about
what constitutes the 'minimum viable product' for platform, v1. If we had a
specific backlog like that, it would help people like me know how to
contribute.

Mike