[ocaml-platform] Changes to my previous proposal for namespaces

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 12:20:55 GMT 2013

I think this whole discussion could be avoided if we took the approach
of specifying the command-line options and hardcoded conventions as
building one environment. Ordering issues, conflicts possibilities
etc. would all be explicit by the description of how this initial
environment is specified.

> I'm more concerned with the fact that order matters even if there is no
> conflict, which, again is a departure from today's situation.  ocamlfind
> will need to pass -I flags in the correct order.

I'm surprised: isn't the order of -I flags already meaningful in case
of two compilation units having the same name? It looks like this is
the exact same problem (with the difference that a flexible namespace
language could allow users to avoid any such conflict by redefining
conflict-free names in any situation).