[ocaml-platform] Bytes

Fabrice Le Fessant Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr
Sun Jun 26 20:46:02 BST 2016

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 6:55 PM Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> and I know that others have (partially) reimplemented this, e.g. Pierre
> Chambart's ocaml-bytes:
>
>   https://github.com/chambart/ocaml-bytes

To the best of my knowledge, that package was already in OPAM before your
bytes version was added in `ocamlfind`. It was then removed.

It was all the more a bad decision that now, we suffer from packages
wrongly adding `ocamlfind {build}` dependencies in OPAM, forgetting that
they actually depend on the `bytes` library in `ocamlfind`.

 Note that `ocp-build` comes with its own compatibility library
`ocplib-compat` (it provides a `StringCompat` module that can be opened to
provide the same String/Bytes API for all OCaml versions). But the
rationale here was that it was used by `ocp-build` itself, and used
`ocp-build` to compile itself.

--Fabrice