[ocaml-platform] Is it taking too long for OCaml software to become 4.03-compatible? Would release process changes help?

Alain Frisch alain at frisch.fr
Thu Jun 30 02:56:27 BST 2016

OCamlPro's opam builder (
http://opam.ocamlpro.com/builder/html/report-last.html ) really needs to
be more advertised and its UI a bit polished to encourage people to
actually look at it.  Also a report per maintainer (with emails sent
automatically?) could be useful.

The release cycle is certainly important for this matter, and I hope the
new policy (smaller and more regular releases) will help significantly.
Simply announcing the next release date (ans sticking to it) sends a
signal to package authors about when they should start checking their
code works with trunk.  Of course, smaller releases also make it simpler
to update the code and less risky to upgrade to for larger organization
(and thus packages maintained by them are more likely to be fixed
quickly). Hopefully the 4.03 experience was a bit exceptional (increased
development pace, very long release, moving release date, breaking
changes in the last months).

There is certainly things to learn and do to minimize the breakage of
ppx and their consequences.  Introducing abstraction/compatibility
layers should help (either things such as Ast_convenience.Constant in
ppx_tools, or more ambitious stable APIs over the Parsetree).

It would also be interesting to understand in more details the reasons
of the breakages for so many packages in 4.03.  It'd be a tedious work
to collect this information, but it will probably guide both core
maintainers and the community on how to improve the process.  There are
two really important pieces of information:  which changes in OCaml
cause the more breakage, and which broken packages cause the more
transitive breakage.

I've to say that I'm also a bit scared by the inflation of dependencies
across packages, including for relatively core packages that could
themselves potentially block many others.  It's not because OPAM makes
it easy to depend on external packages that it's always a good idea to
do so.  As an example, see
https://github.com/ocsigen/js_of_ocaml/blob/master/opam, and this does
not account for transitive dependencies, which include e.g. oasis (whose
own dependencies are themselves a bit scary).  More atomic packages
could help in some respect (e.g. a package with only the js_of_ocaml
compiler, with precompiled menhir parsers, could only depnd on cmdliner,
I guess).  Same for ocamlnet (which is still not available for 4.03, and
probably causing some further breakages;  if it were split into smaller
packages, at least some of them should work on 4.03 already).

Alain