[Teaching] Asking teachers: what support would you want to distribute OCaml to students ?

Stephan Zdancewic stevez at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 26 21:43:34 GMT 2014

At Penn we use OCaml and OcaIDE in Eclipse, but we avoid using any fancy
libraries -- OCaml's graphics works for us on Windows, OSX and Linux.
We use Eclipse mainly because we also teach Java in the same class, and
getting students to use two different editors/IDEs would be a real pain.
We've considered using virtual machines but haven't yet gone that route,
so Windows support is pretty important for us.

Eclipse itself is becoming more of a hassle, so we'd be willing to ditch
it in favor of a simpler solution, but haven't yet found something we like.

Our class targets Freshman, and many non-CS students take it, so we
can't rely on them even knowing what the terminal is.

--Steve