[Teaching] Asking teachers: what support would you want to distribute OCaml to students ?

Yaron Minsky yminsky at janestreet.com
Wed Nov 26 23:02:11 GMT 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Stephan Zdancewic <stevez at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
> At Penn we use OCaml and OcaIDE in Eclipse, but we avoid using any fancy
> libraries -- OCaml's graphics works for us on Windows, OSX and Linux.  We
> use Eclipse mainly because we also teach Java in the same class, and getting
> students to use two different editors/IDEs would be a real pain. We've
> considered using virtual machines but haven't yet gone that route, so
> Windows support is pretty important for us.

What kind of extra windows support do you need?  Sounds like you're
sticking to fairly simple libraries, which seems like it should help a
lot.  I guess getting good Merlin support would be good.  Actually, a
high quality merlin implementation that works on Windows and
integrates with Sublime Text well could be ideal.

For what it's worth, Core_kernel is I think fully portable to Windows,
and we're thinking of having the next edition of Real World OCaml
focus more on Core_kernel than Core, which should make the text more
applicable to more cases (including the Javascript use-case.)