[wg-camlp4] Meta Programming from the view of the implementaion

Hongbo Zhang hongboz at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:41:01 GMT 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Alain Frisch <alain.frisch at lexifi.com>wrote:

>> I strongly suspect you don't use the official OCaml parser but a specific
> parser which is part of Fan (and rely on a different parsing technology and
> a different AST).  So if I want to use your version of sedlex, I will add
> to update Fan to match my local extensions of OCaml (or MetaOCaml, or the
> next cool extension of Camlp4).  And if I wanted to be able to implement
> that version, I would have had to learn about Fan, its parsing technology,
> and its interpretation of the OCaml AST.
> All that would be worth the extra effort and trouble if the benefits were
> clear enough, but I still don't see any benefit.
>
> To be fair, suppose people who don't understand either Fan or ppx, I think
it's much easier to learn Fan. Fan's grammar's semantics is really
clear(its kernel is *only 200 lines *without comments), and we
provide a graphic module to *visualize the tree structure*...
Anyway you can still use Fan* without sticking to Fan's parsing tech*, the
only thing you need is to accept the proposal* which introduces a
Intermediate Ast*

--
-- Regards, Hongbo