[ocaml-infra] Tuareg → OCaml umbrella

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Jan 7 13:35:07 GMT 2014

On 5 Jan 2014, at 10:15, Christophe Troestler <Christophe.Troestler at umons.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi Gabriel,
>
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 00:06:47 +0100, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
>>
>> I hope this does not sound too negative, but I'm not sure we would
>> gain by "blessing" tuareg as "the" ocaml editor mode for Emacs.
>
> No offense taken.  My point in asking Tuareg to be under the OCaml
> umbrella is that it is not really a project of mine so I felt a bit
> strange to have it under my name (but it can stay that way, I do not
> mind so much either).

I actually think of github.com/ocaml not as an "official" blessing
(whatever that means), but as a place where repositories used by
the ocaml.org infrastructure can have a home.

In this case, I'd like to see all the editor tools centralized on
the GitHub so that we can clone them to regularly publish a Vagrant
VM with all the build tools installed by default.  If Tuareg is the
correct Emacs editor mode of choice *at the moment*, then it's
appropriate to host there.  This should be a separate discussion
from future fixes to Emacs-mode (which is, of course, important as
well, but shouldn't block the Vagrant release).

Anyway, Vim mode is easy ("use Merlin!"), so you'll all have to
educate me on the Emacs story over at:
https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/1035